Monday, April 14, 2008

The Artists

Ricky Swallow - iMan Ricky Swallow’s iMan is most likely constructed out of two different coloured plastic components for the white and the coloured parts . Judging by his other work I would image that a skull was carved from wood and then cast as a mould which was then used to create the different coloured iterations of the plastic iMan skulls. I believe that this work is an obvious commentary on the influence of computers on modern thinking. The word that I used to describe this was work, and the one that ultimately influenced to design of the studio space, was ‘transparent’. I use this work to describe not only the quality of the material, but also transparency of thought and transparency of meaning or the artwork.

Sidney Nolan- Central Australia
Sidney Nolan’s ‘Central Australia’ is an oil painting with predominantly red and yellow colours. Typical of Nolan’s work, it deals heavily with the theme of the Australian outback, but this particular example is far more pictorially literal than many of his other works. The words I used to describe this work were heart, dehydrate and desolate, and I think that I have used influence from each of these words in the above ground studio design.

No comments: